Time to make a delicious and creamy buffalo spice-themed sandwich for your next dinner plan! These slow cooker buffalo chicken cheesesteaks are perfect for making any day. They will be an excellent meal if you like the creamy, rich flavor that will come with buffalo chicken and lots of cheese. Let’s get into it!
How Long Will This Take?
Today’s recipe takes approximately 5 and a half hours of your time; prep will take you only a few minutes, and cooking is 5 and a half hours in the slow cooker, including rest time for your food. So you may want to start putting together your meal up to 6 hours before dinner time.
What Do I Need?
Besides a slow cooker, you’ll need boneless skinless chicken breasts, buffalo sauce, dry ranch seasoning, butter, hoagie rolls or bread of your choice, blue cheese crumbles, and provolone cheese. We know it’s a bit longer of a list of ingredients, but the flavor you get is worth it!
Can This Be Shortened in Time?
You can use your slow cooker on high instead of on low for half of the cooking time. It will take a toll on how tender and delicious your food ends. Still, if you’re in a crunch, you can take this shortcut for similar enough results. And you don’t necessarily have to have the rest time after shredding; it just helps in flavor.
What Do I Put On Buffalo Chicken Cheesesteaks?
Once you’ve finished your meal, what can you serve for toppings to these yummy sandwiches? You can add ranch for a more creamy taste and cut back on spice some more, or serve pickles as a sandwich topper for some ideas. It can be anything you want to add on top of the sandwiches that feel right!
Do I Have to Use Hoagies?
Any type of bread or roll can work excellent for these sandwiches to be made of. And if you forgot the bread, you can use the chicken as a dip! Buffalo chicken like this can be great for mood and meals. If you want to get even more creative, you can eat this meal in a bread bowl like soup.
What if My Cheesesteaks Are Too Runny?
If your meat mixture is still too thin and runny, try keeping your cooker in a warm setting with the meat resting for a little longer than just the half-hour we call for in this recipe. You can even raise the heat a bit to set everything together faster. The heat and rest will help the chicken absorb more sauce to come together.
Do I Need Blue Cheese?
Plenty of you would probably rather opt out of the blue cheese crumbles we mentioned in the ingredient list. Lucky for you, the blue cheese and provolone are only used as toppers to the sandwich and aren’t required for this recipe. You can switch either or both out for any cheese of your choice or no cheese.
What Do I Do With Leftovers?
Leftovers should be stored in the fridge in an airtight container. You can reheat in your slow cooker or on the stovetop and use any leftovers to make more sandwiches or in one of the creative ideas we talked about above for if you forget or run out of bread for the sandwiches.
How Many Will This Make?
Using this exact recipe will be enough for about 6-8 people, so you’re likely to have leftovers if you’re a smaller household. But it’s excellent for meal prep for the week to reuse leftovers in fun ways or for large families that want a meal to serve everyone with half the effort.
Now that you know a little about what to expect and some of the questions that may come to mind from this recipe, here’s the real deal to make it yourself next time you want some yummy buffalo chicken sandwiches. Be sure to keep the recipe below in mind for your next creative dinner idea.
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Cheesesteaks
- 2 lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- 2 Cups Buffalo Sauce
- 1 oz Dry Ranch Seasoning (1 Packet)
- 1 Stick of Butter (½ cup)
- Hoagie Rolls
- Blue Cheese Crumbles
- Provolone Cheese
- Place the chicken breasts in the slow cooker.
- Cover the chicken with the ranch seasoning and then add all of the buffalo sauce to the slow cooker.
- Place the butter on top of the ingredients and secure the lid.
- Cook for 5 hours on low. After 5 hours, shred the chicken thoroughly with 2 forks and mix well.
- Switch the slow cooker to the warm setting and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Load up the bottom portion of the hoagie with some buffalo chicken and top with blue cheese and provolone, if desired.
- Cut it in half. Enjoy!
- If you want the meat to cook quicker, you can switch to the high setting and cook for half the time. However, I have found that this makes the chicken a bit tougher and not as moist.
- This sandwich can pair with so many great toppings. Pickles, ranch, and onions are excellent ways to add variety.
- When you shred the chicken, it is ready to eat. However, if you let it rest at a lower temperature, it will give the chicken time to absorb the sauce. It will also allow the sauce to become a lot more creamy as opposed to runny.
- This chicken can be used as a great buffalo chicken dip as well.